Sunday, May 11, 2008

Leda and the Swan

I don't know a lot about visual art. However, I do know a good pun when I see it. Since I first laid eyes on it years ago in the Seattle Art Museum's Permanent Collection, John Covert's "Leda and the Swan" has been, without competition, my favorite painting of all time. If you're in Seattle and you get a chance to pop in SAM, it's on the third floor in the American art section.

A brief history of Leda and her bestiality: Zeus loved having all kinds of extramarital sex, and to escape Hera's watchful eyes (and her crony Argus' hundred watchful eyes), he would often sneak out disguised as an animal. In Leda's case, he came to her as a swan and either a) raped her or b) seduced her, depending on your source. The union was pretty productive: Helen and her thousand-ship-launching face was one of the results, as was Pollux. However, Pollux's twin--well, half-twin--Castor was the son not of Zeus but of Leda's husband, Tyndareus, the king of Sparta, who also fathered future murderess Clytemnestra. Hopefully everything was indeed consensual, because Leda clearly had a really busy evening (in true Greek style, they were all conceived on the same day and born/hatched on the same day nine months later).

I pulled this picture from SAM's Permanent Collection site (here are all their John Covert paintings). Covert painted his "Leda" sometime between 1915 and 1923, and even for that period, the style is stark, especially compared to his other works. The barrenness lets the pertinent details speak for themselves--her hair and her hand. Or, rather, her "hair" and her "hand."

Ha! See what Covert did, that clever bastard? It's a funny little trick at first, but the more you think about it, the more bittersweet the pun becomes. The swan has his wing stretched around her like a sleazebag trying to make a move, and Leda's eyes are downcast...does that mean she's being coy, or is she afraid?

When I go to SAM, I end up spending the most time in front of "Leda." Even after all these years and my many minutes staring at it, I haven't made up my mind if it is funny or sad. In my opinion, that's a pretty perfect joke.

7 comments:

Matthew C. Jaeger said...

The pun as I see it is that she is gazing coyly at the swan/hand that seduced/pleasured her.

Rebecca said...

Hmm, interesting! That is a definite possibility (and clearly Covert was going for this kind of ambiguity). I guess it all depends on whether you are thinking about the liaison as mutual or forced.

Matthew said...

And, it should be noted, based on the position of the hand, it is her own.

Nice painting regardless. Took a look at it last weekend.

Unduly Amplified said...

That was my take, too, Matthew. It is quite lovely, with a captivating appearance of simplicity.

Anonymous said...

How wonderful. This is also my favorite Covert of all time. My great Grandfather donated it and I see it as often as possible. It is marvelous in it's simplicity, regardless of the pun. :o)

~Leigh Mackie

Rebecca said...

Leigh--

That is so excellent that your great-grandfather was responsible for SAM's acquisition of this beautiful painting.! Thank you for taking the time to comment, and thanks also to your family for letting so many SAM visitors in on the beautiful joke.

midnightartist said...

I love this piece. Saw it yesterday in person. But is the pencil 4 leaf clover at the bottom right graffiti? It doesn't fit with a signature...